Tuesday, May 23, 2017

The Title of Un-Clenched Emotion or Unclenched Emotion

When I wrote my poetry book I thought of the perfect title: "Unclenched Emotion."  Something funny happened when I went into Word.  It said unclenched was a misspelled word.  Because of this I thought unclenched wasn't a word, much to my dismay.  So I changed it to un-clenched emotion.  I wasn't giving up on my title even though I thought the word didn't exist.  It's a sad thing I changed it with the dash, because that makes it harder to find.

To my humiliation, when I posted on boards on Create Space, where I published my book, that unclenched wasn't a word, I faced some correction.  It is a word.  I had to have other authors telling me so.  That's really embarrassing for someone who studied English, but we all have our faults.  What does unclenched mean?  In the most basic sense it means to open from a clenched position.  Like unclenching your teeth.  Or it can mean to relax.  It just goes to show you that you should not rely on spell check.  It's not just Word that has unclenched as misspelled, it's doing it here on blogspot too.  (Funny note, blogspot is also underlined in red).  I have all kinds of red underling a word that has a definition and is spelled correctly.  Confusing!

So why did I choose "Un-Clenched Emotion" for my title?  I wanted something that described emotion uninhibited.  I wanted to describe hidden emotions opening up.  I wanted to describe emotion as a positive state, and relaxed is that.  My poetry is full of emotion and I was (and will be in the future) writing about my feeling.  Sometimes writing about feelings that I'm guessing others feel.  I think in great writer should put their feelings into their words, unabashed.  They should be "open" about it instead of "clenched"  I was in my book so  ultimately, I think I have a great title.  I just wish I published without the dash!

No comments:

Post a Comment