Wednesday, April 11, 2018

How to Write From Experience and Autism Awareness

If you have taken a writing course, or workshop, you might have been told to write what you know.  I was told that once, and I took it a little too literally.  I love fantasy and science fiction, and wondered how I could write about an imaginary planet when it's not something I know.  You don't have to have experienced something first hand for you to know something about it.  I've read enough mythology and facts on space for those subjects to be something I know.  I haven't written any prose yet, I've been busy working on my poetry.  For poetry, writing from your life's experience is a good idea.  An imaginary characters' experience works too.



Use a Memory for Writing Poetry


A good way to write a poem from experience is to go through your memories and try to describe it.  Of course, this works for good memoirs too since that's what they are.  You don't have to write your memory word for word, and in poetry you probably shouldn't.  Think of the feelings you get from those memories, wonder if that memory makes you think of a color, and try to come up with a phrase (that only has to make sense to you) that describes that memory.  This will help you come up with similes (comparing items using the word like and as) and metaphors (comparing items not using the word like and as) in your poems.  You can also choose to write about a subject matter that is close to you.


Experience with the Subject of Autism


It's April now, which means it's Poetry Month.  It is also Autism Awareness Month.  Poetry and Autism are both subjects I know about.  I have decided to write a poem using my experience with Autism to celebrate both poetry and autism awareness.  I don't plan on trying to publish it, so I will write it here for everyone to read as an example of how to write from experience. It is as follows:


Relating to a Mystery


Understanding an Echo (they called it Autism,)
Sweet parrot mimicking in human flesh.
She gazed at the river and spoke in metaphor.
Could it be possible? Did they lie?
Hidden talents hidden in flapping wings like hands.
Each song sung verbatim with feeling.
She feels it all distinctly, everything.
They are not emotionless.
Lumped together in the image of different.
Rainbow Puzzle Pieces try to celebrate the many feathers
of parrots flocking.
Comprehension can’t be communicated,
I’m not talking about her, but about me.
Is blue really accurate?
Relate, relate, relate,
Unsuccessful, it is pointless.
There are unanswered questions that swirl
and never finish until we expire.
I read stories, she watches stories
So that we might illuminate our curious minds.
When we hear a lion roar, we imitate.
My head’s full of useless feathers.
The mimicking parrot is full of brilliance.
It’s me who wants you to understand.
Expression needs training,
This encompasses humanity as well as parrots.
Will you feel compassion?
It’s everything we need.
Her, You, Me, Us.
In the end, that’s all I’m trying to express.



I could describe how all of this relates to autism, me, and my daughter (who has autism,) but this post is already kind of long.  If you would like to know more. please write a comment and I'll try to answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment